Adult/ Teen Beginners
Guildford Fencing Club - Covid 19 Safety Protocols
Please do the following until we return to normal fencing. We must follow British Fencing's National and Venue guidance.
If anyone has a question or a concern about these rules, please
discuss it in the first instance with the Club's Covid safety officer,
Dominin Franchi. His e-mail address is
For all fencers
- Sessions are currently only available to fencers who have their own
equipment (clothing, masks etc.), although the club weapons can be
borrowed. We hope to set up a scheme to allow kit to be borrowed
- Book before the
fencing evening using Google Docs (details below).
- Pay online (details below)
- Obviously, don't come if Covid rules require you isolate - please cancel using Google Docs if you can
- You must stay near the piste allocated to your
group of six, and so may only fence other members within the group of
- Maintain social distance of 1m if you are wearing a face covering, 2m with no face-covering.
- Bring your own sanitizer and water.
- Upon entering the hall sanitize your hands. Also sanitize if you help to put away club equipment.
- If using a club weapon sanitize your hands. No other club equipment can currently be used.
- Pistes will be at least 2m apart.
- As modifications to the rules of fencing:
Experimental: The center of the
piste will have a divider 1 m wide. The fencers are on different sides
of the divider. A fencer encroaching on the divider halts the
action in the same way as leaving the piste.
While fencing you must wear a face-covering under
your fencing mask. (Fencers may want to buy cycling face-covers as they
allow freer breathing and do not steam up glasses)`.
Do not use: changing rooms or water fountains. (If possible, arrive already wearing fencing breeches).
- Corps a corps, deliberate close quarter actions and any actions that breach the 1m distancing are not permitted.
- Fleching/running attacks are not permitted.
- After bouts do not shake hands (just perform the usual weapon salute).
If you develop symptoms
of Covid 19 after attending, please inform the club as soon as possible. The club email address is
No parents or spectators can be allowed in the sports hall.
Fencers participate at their own risk. Details of attendance will be
held in accordance with the club's Data Processing Statement, and may be
supplied to government test-and-trace organisations.
For group leaders (not applicable to U18-only sessions)
Leaders of a group (a group is a "bubble" of 6 fencers) are committee members or other adult fencers appointed
by the committee. They are responsible for the following.
- Set up a group area containing a piste, at least 2m away from other group areas.
- Experimental: Mark the center of the piste with two marks 1m
apart (tape or weapons). Remind members of the group not to cross the 1m
marks and interrupt fencing if an accidentally crossed.
- Return club equipment.
- After fencing, update Google Docs if members of the group has changed.
Google Docs Booking System
Please book online - the booking list is held in Google
docs. Please allow at least 48 hours to get your access set
up - after that, you can book up to the last minute (if there's room).
- You need a free Google account to use the system - you can use an
existing Gmail or Android account, or set up a new one by visiting https://accounts.google.com/
Note: if you have an existing account but don't want to share your
e-mail address with other fencers, you may prefer to create a new
account or an alias. (You can set gmail up to autoforward email to your
usual account - click the gearwheel icon at the top right and then "see
- Request access to the GFC Booking Folder. Simply e-mail me a
message at firstname.lastname@example.org, giving me your name, your Google account username,
your mobile number (and a preferred e-mail address if it's different
from the Google one).
Note: The rationale for this is that GFC would use the e-mail and/or mobile
number in case a session has to be cancelled at short notice, but
appreciate that you don't necessarily wish to share them with everybody.
- When you are notified you have access, you can find the booking folder here.
You only need a web browser, and a mobile phone should work although a
desktop or laptop is easier. You should see a list of "Recent
Documents", with a booking form for each week looking a bit like this: example_booking.docx.
- Open the form for the week you want to book and check if any groups have space left.
- This operates on the honour system. Please don't change the form
or other peoples' entries, just add your own entry to the group you'd
like to join. There are some notes in the form to help you.
- If there's no space, please enter your name on the waiting list.
- Normally that's all done. we look forward to seeing you!
- If you need to cancel, please do so as soon as possible - return
to the document and replace your name by the word "Cancelled".
Please e-mail anyone on the waiting list who is fencing the
same weapon, to let them know.
- There are some circumstances where the club might have to cancel,
for example: covid, snow, insufficient numbers. We will use e-mail
if there is more than 24 hours notice, and will try to send an SMS
message as well if there is less.
The system is offered in good faith but is subject to change. The club
cannot accept liability for consequential losses however caused.
Please pay online, but not until the day (it's complicated and may take a while for
the Treasurer to credit/ refund your fee in case of cancellation!).
At present the payment method is by online bank transfer to the
club's account. Most current accounts offer this service. It's
convenient for most members, there are no fees for the club and usually
not for members either.
Please transfer the sum of £15 per person per session to:
Account Name: Guildford Fencing Club
Account No: 63579413.
Branch Sort Code:56-00-18
Reference: please use the fencer's name as the reference